Friday, January 7, 2011

The joys of the 3rd trimester

The first few weeks of the first trimester were a continuation of the relative bliss of the second trimester.  It was the calm before the storm, creating a false sense of security!  How things change.  All those 3rd trimester issues I've heard about are now rearing their ugly head.

First, and most frustrating for me personally, the insomnia is back.  I just don't enjoy laying awake for two hours in the middle of the night a few times a week.  Go to sleep!

Then there's the heartburn.  It hasn't been too horrible so far but still not pleasant.  And it can be brought on by chocolate.  What kind of twisted humor is that??

And although I've been tired the entire pregnancy, the fatigue is definitely worse.  Issue #1 certainly doesn't help.

Oh and the congestion.  How could I forget about that??  I was packing up to come home from work the other day and heard this weird rhythmic noise.  I wonder to myself "What is that noise?" I stop and look around.  Oh.  It's me.  Breathing.  The funny noise happens each time I inhale.  Lovely!  And most annoying is that interferes with my precious sleep!  It's a vicious cycle: I'm all congested so I have to breathe out of my mouth, which annoys me.  Then my mouth gets dry and my lips get chapped.  And I'm even more annoyed and distracted and can't fall asleep.  The humidifier we have going every night does help.  And I bought some of those nose strips to try.  Those actually seem to be helping, at least enough for me fall asleep.  Thank goodness!

As I'm sitting on the couch the other night, Jeff pushes up my pant leg while asking if my legs are all puffy yet.  Just as I'm about to happily respond "Nope, don't have that issue yet," he starts poking at my leg and says "Awww, Brandi has edema."  Which would be doctor speak for puffiness/swelling from fluid.  I glance down in shock to see that my lower legs are indeed a little bit puffy.  When did that happen?!  I was not aware of this.  I am not prepared for this development!  I finally break out of my shock long enough to tell Jeff to stop poking my leg since he's hitting my shin bone and it hurts.  I believe he even asked me if I had played with this yet.  No dearest husband, I haven't sat around poking my finger into my puffy legs for the fun of it!  I'm consoling myself with the fact that my ankles hadn't completely disappeared.  And that my legs looked normal in the morning.  Because you can be sure that I checked.

But all complaining and joking aside, I try to be positive and acknowledge that things are pretty good overall.  Sure I have some discomfort from the growing belly but it's manageable.  My back aches now and again, but it did before pregnancy too.  And some good stretches and yoga poses help manage that.  I've got strategies to manage most things.  As long as the insomnia doesn't get too bad I'll be fine.  And I'm healthy, feeling okay and growing a healthy baby.  And those are the most important things!

1 comment:

  1. It's good to know that Dave is not the only annoying Schulze husband! You and baby are in my prayers as your due date gets closer :-)

    ReplyDelete