Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Claire starts school!

Our church offers a preschool-type program for little ones 16-23 months old, in addition to the regular preschool classes.  It is not aptly named "wee two's."  In the spring I struggled with the decision of whether to enroll Claire for the fall.  There were multiple factors: was I selfishly doing it just to get free time, what if I decided to go back to work and needed to put her in daycare instead, was it right to be sending my 18 month old to "school" or should I hold off so she has more time at home, would our flexibility be limited by her school schedule??? and on and on.  Finally after agonizing a few months I realized the following: I probably wasn't going back to work and if I did we'd only lose a deposit; Claire was getting older and it was easier to imagine sending her off, I wasn't exactly providing a stimulating curriculum every day at home, the socialization would be good for her, and most importantly, I thought she'd LOVE it.  (And I also gave myself permission to desire a little me time without feeling like a bad mom).

So anyway, we signed Claire up for the wee two's.  Two mornings a week she and 9 other little ones descend on 2 brave women for 3 hours (9-12).  They have typical preschool schedule stuff adapted for their age.  A short circle time, art/project time, snack, outside time, centers, free play, and music and movement classes (15 minutes only for their short little attention spans).   

On Friday August 16th, the preschool held meet and greets for the kids to come and meet their teachers.  Here are some pictures of Claire checking out the toys in her new classroom.  And generally ignoring her new classmates.  We stayed for about 45 minutes and Claire seemed to enjoy her time playing with all the new stuff.


Ooh books!

Why are you so close to me?

Furniture mover


Look at all these puzzles mom!


Animals, my favorite!

Her first day!
       The next Monday, August 20th, was Claire's first day.  Jeff happened to be off so we both got to take her.  Here she is ready for her first day!

First day of wee 2's!

We're going where?

Ok, time for bye-bye



Her first day went well.  We dropped her off with no tears (from any of us).  Jeff and I went out to breakfast and did some shopping to celebrate.  Claire seemed happy to see us when we picked her up and the teachers said she had a good day, especially since they went outside multiple times.  We even got a sample of her artwork.

Claire's first school artwork

Look at that form!  The use of color!  The way the strokes are concentrated on the right giving a sense of ......

Heck, I don't know!  That's the extent of my ability to discuss art.

So that was the first day.  We've had a few more days experience since then.  Each time drop off got worse.  Her second day she cried a little as I handed her over.  Now she has to be peeled off of me, wailing and kicking.  Fun stuff!  But I know she calms down not long after I leave. 

We get to hear some cute tidbits about her day.  Apparently she loves "pom pom time" when they get to shake some little pom poms.  She gets excited when they announce that activity.  The teacher called her their little cheerleader.  She also blows to kisses to anybody who enters or exits the room.

The most amusing thing is when we pick her up.  Some days they have all the parents waiting in a room and bring the kids in to us.  The girl in front spots her dad and runs at him with her arms up to be picked up.  The next one does something similar.  Claire spots us, gets excited and lets out some noises of excitement, sort of flaps her arms in excitement and starts heading for us.  And then blows right past us as she runs in a spiral until she falls down!  As Jeff said, "our poor, overstimulated child!"  I say more proof that she has issues with intimacy.  Now that she's got the kissing handled I guess it's time to work on how to greet someone.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment