Sunday, August 15, 2010

Surprises all around....

This past week we've been slowly spreading the news.  So we've been able to give a few people a happy surprise.  And we've gotten a few surprises ourselves.

When we got back in town from Canada, Jeff's parents, his sister, and her 2 girls were in town visiting the Schulze extended family.  So we mooched off the in-laws for an airport pick-up and arrived at Jeff's grandparents around 9 that evening.  I then proceeded to wait about an hour and a half for Jeff to spill the beans to his family!  I tried to create some openings by mentioning peeing in every restroom in Banff national park as well as needing a nap one day but to no avail.  I think I finally poked him and gave him a look.  He finally got the ball rolling by asking about their sightseeing plans for the next day. He mentioned that we'd be free most of the day but I did have an ultrasound scheduled in the afternoon.  There was a brief pause until LeeAnn asked "Is there something we should know about?"  At which point he finally told them that I'm pregnant.  There were a couple of soft gasps and happiness all around.  We shared the news with the rest of the Schulze side of the family over the next few days.

One my favorite moments from their trip came when it was decided to order Chinese for dinner one night.  No one was interested in my suggestion of shrimp fried rice (a Chinese food staple in the Simpson household and my favorite).  So I was going to make do with the sesame or orange chicken that others were interested in.  Jeff's aunt and mom went to pick up the food.  When they returned, there was a little container of shrimp fried rice that Jeff's mom had gotten as a special treat just for me!   LeeAnn jokingly complained that she didn't get a special treat.  To which her mom replied, "Well you're not giving me another grandchild!"  I may have then obnoxiously teased LeeAnn that I was the favorite now.  It was a funny moment, but I was also really surprised and delighted with my treat.  I may not have fully expressed my gratitude so thanks Diane, that was an awesome surprise!  

On Friday the 13th, I gave my boss a surprise.  Just two days before, he had invited me to participate in interviewing candidates for another school psychologist going on maternity leave in September. Convenient timing for me to go in a few minutes early and let him know that I too was pregnant.  So he'd have to do this process again in February.  His first response was to laugh and laugh.  I mean, how often do 2 of your 4 psychologists go out in one year?  Then he was very happy for us and sent his congratulations along to myself and Jeff.

The final surprise of the week came when we had someone insistently ring our doorbell and pound on the door.  Jeff went out to see that a delivery person had left a package on our doorstep.  Well, actually I think Jeff said it was tucked under our doormat, which is pretty ridiculous since it wasn't a small package.  Jeff walks in with it and I immediately spot these words on the side of the box:



Shari's Berries!  As in the company that sends chocolate covered strawberries.  Another of my favorite treats! Yum! As soon as I see the box I know I need to document this for a blog post. But who sent them? I examine the outside label but find no clues other than the sending address was "Brandi (and Jeff) Schulze." (Someone clearly knows who is most important!)  So I open it to see what goodies await and who to thank.


Ooh, two boxes.  What could it be?


Chocolate covered strawberries and cherries!!  There was a card inside from my friend Sally.  We've been friends with Sally and her husband Nate since our freshman year of college.  Sally was Maid of Honor at our wedding. We were roommates from second semester of freshman year through to my grad school years (except for that one semester when she ditched me to study abroad in Russia, but we won't talk about that dark time :)  Sally's an awesome friend, even when she's not sending me chocolate covered fruit!  Thanks Sally!!

And even though Jeff was only included in the card in parentheses I shared my bounty with him.  I'm so generous!

No comments:

Post a Comment